Powder metallurgy (PM) is a term covering a wide range of ways in which materials or components are made from metal powders. PM processes can avoid, or greatly reduce, the need to use metal removal processes, thereby drastically reducing yield losses in manufacture and often resulting in lower costs.
Mixing of powders
This can often involve the introduction of alloying additions in elemental powder form or the incorporation of a pressing lubricant.
Forming of the mixed powder into a compact
The dominant consolidation process involves pressing in a rigid toolset, comprising a die, punches and, possibly, mandrels or core rods. However, there are several other consolidation processes that are used in niche applications.
Sintering of the compact to enhance integrity and strength
This process step involves heating of the material, usually in a protective atmosphere, to a temperature that is below the melting point of the major constituent. In some cases, a minor constituent can form a liquid phase at sintering temperature; such cases are described as liquid phase sintering. The mechanisms involved in solid phase and liquid phase sintering are discussed briefly in a later section.
The application of finishing processes to the sintered part. In the Powder Metallurgy industry, such processes are often referred to as secondary operations.
The advantages of metal injection molding for metal fabrications :
- Highest degree of design freedom for complex shapes and geometries
- Provides practical economic solutions to increasingly stringent material and product design requirements
- Functional integration of various features, such as lateral drillings, interior and exterior threads and gear teeth.
- Excellent batch to batch repeatability with exceptional process capabilities
- Very high volume production series run on fully-automatic injection molding machines using multi-cavity tools
- Components can be heat and surface treated, plated, welded and soldered
Customized metal parts specification
|Product type||Custom stainless steel parts iron parts titanium alloy parts high precision powder metallurgy metal injection molding parts / components copper structural parts|
|Material||metal , Iron , stainless steel ,carbon steel titanium alloy|
|Process||Metal injection molding , powder metallurgy|
|Treatment||Passivate, Polishing, Electroplate, Sandblasted, Oxidation, Bake Painting, Silkscreen, Laser carving, Heat Treatment, Anodizing,Tempering,Brushing, Galvanization, Nickel Plating, Oil Spraying, Coating Ni/Cr/Zinc Plating
|Drawing format||DWG ,IGS , STP|
|Delivery time||20 days for mass production|
Custom metal parts